The first Boy Scout camps at Sylvan Lake were located in Lower Camp on the northeast side of the lake
In 1932, the camps were moved to a new 103 acre site near Third Point. It was named Camp Woods, in honour of Colonel James Woods of Calgary, who had purchased the land and then donated it to the Boy Scouts of Canada
In July 2013, the national Canadian Scout Jamboree was held at Camp Woods
Photo #20 Centennial Pillar information provided by Michael Dawe; Photo by Ernest Wells; Red Deer Archives mg-193-1-23-2
From a Red Deer Advocate Article on the pioneers of Red Deer and District re the Karl Gustaf Soderlund family: In April 1905, Mr. Soderlund filed on a homestead in the Gilby district, ten miles north of Eckville, now the Ed More place. The first house that he built was Rev. Hjelt’s homestead home on the shore of Sylvan Lake, which later was the Isaac Lampi home, and still later was donated to the Boy Scouts by Col. J. H. Woods of Calgary, as part of the Camp Woods property.