Sylvan Lake began to grown rapidly again after the Second World War. In 1946, with the community's population nearing 900, a decision was made to apply to have the village incorporated as a town
The Provincial Government issued the Order in Council approving the incorporation on May 31, 1931. The first elections for Town Council were held in February, 1947
Photo #23 Centennial Pillar information provided by Michael Dawe; Photo by Willard Trimble; Red Deer Archives mg-242-6-4
26A: Michael Dawe posted this aerial photograph on Facebook with the following caption: The Village of Sylvan Lake, 1936. Notice that the Varsity Hall was the last major building as a person went east along Lakeshore Drive. Also, the two big buildings at the foot of the main pier are the Pavilion Dance Hall and the Sylvan Lake Hotel. The Boathouse is hard to see because of the trees. Photo by Sid Wardle. Red Deer Archives P2496.